Today I started a new position in Flextronics (FLEX). I am going to begin purchasing stocks that I believe will benefit in the next 2-5 years. The stocks I will be taking positions in will be related to sensor technology and the internet of things. I purchased 50 shares and this is the first stock in my “Internet of Things & Sensor Technology” portfolio.
What Does Flextronics Do?
Flextronics International Ltd. (Flextronics) provides electronics manufacturing services to original equipment manufacturers (OEM). It also provides supporting supply chain services, including packaging and transportation throughout the world, as well as design and after-sales.
Why Invest in Flextronics?
I believe Flextronics is positioned to benefit from the internet of things movement along with the rise of sensor technology. With their electronics manufacturing services and distribution they should greatly benefit as every product we use on a daily basis will be outfitted with internet and sensor technology. They have the technology, manufacturing, and most importantly, the distribution to make them successful.
Flextronics Display and Touch Solutions
As mentioned in Gartner’s 2015 technology trends, along with the internet of things, computing everywhere will be prevalent and the objects we interact with will have smart displays attached. Flextronics has ana rray of display and touch solutions that I believe will be integrated into smart, internet enabled devices.
This group at Flextronics is focused on designing and manufacturing complete Display and Touch products for its OEM customers. Its display platforms are based on two technologies.
- liquid crystal material sandwiched between two layers of glass to polarize light and provide a backlight system and color via a filter.
- A bi-stable display technology, is based on E-Ink material. It can support small and medium size form factors, provide customized displays and has developed strategic partnerships with supply chain companies.
Other Business Segments at Flextronics
- Printed Circuit Board (PCB) and Flexible Circuit Fabrication
- Display and Touch Solutions
- Optomechatronics (Camera Modules)
- Power Supplies
- Reverse Logistics & Repair Services